Welcome to ASTHO Perinatal Opioid Use Training. This training is designed to be used with the ASTHO Opioid Use Disorder Toolkit: Supporting the Public Health Response in Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health to “role play” or practice what you learned about screening, referring, and offering support to people who are at risk for or experiencing substance use or opioid use disorder. Public health professionals range from technicians to epidemiologists and state health commissioners. The phrase public health staff used throughout this training refers to clinical and nonclinical professionals that work directly with people of childbearing age and pregnant and postpartum persons. This includes, but is not limited to, staff that work in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program, Home Visiting programs, public health educators, and nurses.
Learning Objectives: As a result of completing the learning modules and reading the toolkit, public health staff serving people in the perinatal period will be able to:
- Explain the importance of universal screening of pregnant and parenting people in public health programs for substance use disorder, using a trauma-informed care approach.
- Apply a trauma-informed care approach to substance use disorder screening and referral in different scenarios.
- Use motivational interviewing techniques to engage clients in shared decision making about next steps and referral needs and conduct screenings with greater intention and effectiveness.
- Conduct screenings with greater intention and effectiveness to strengthen public health program services, individualize supports to clients, and minimize unintended harm.
- A navigation box is located on the right-hand side of the screen and contains arrows to advance to the next lesson or return to a previous lesson. Before advancing, but after you have completed the lesson, select "Mark Completed" under the navigation box.
- Any additional materials and resources are posted under the navigation box under Lesson Files and Lesson Links.
- You also have the option of viewing each lesson in FullScreen mode. To close the FullScreen mode and access the lesson files and links or navigate to the next lesson, select the escape key (Esc).
Supported Browsers: When accessing this course, please be sure to use the most updated version of one of the browsers identified below. This course is not supported on any version of the Internet Explorer browser. You may need to enable pop-ups to view the lessons.
Windows: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome.
Apple MacOS: Safari 3.0 or higher, Microsoft edge, Google Chrome, Firefox.
To begin the course, select the top lesson from the lesson bar(s) below.